Dear Parents and Guardians,
The WCDSB provides bus transportation for students in JK-Gr. 3 who live further than 0.8 km from the school, and for students in Grades 4-8 who live greater than 1.6 km. If possible, you are encouraged to have your children walk to school if you live within these distances. However, if you choose to drive your children to or from school, this memo is a reminder of our school parking lot policy as well as our drop off and pick up procedure.
Except for special circumstances, our school parking lot is closed to parents and visitors before and after school (8:30-8:50 a.m. and 3:00-3:30 p.m.). This procedure keeps students safe as walkers, they do not need to avoid vehicles entering and exiting the parking lot. If you are dropping off or picking up your children before or after school, please follow the procedures outlined below.
- Please drop off & pick up your children on the school side of the street
- Please use the end of Hammet St. as a turnaround point – this allows the drop-off & pick up on the school parking lot side of the street to happen quite easily. It also keeps traffic flowing and, more importantly, keeps children safe
- Please do not drop your children off on the opposite side of Hammet St, which would require them to cross the street during a high volume of traffic time of day creating unsafe conditions for children
If you park on one of the side streets, we ask that you please be sure to walk with your children, crossing the street safely together.
The City of Cambridge works closely with all schools to ensure the streets around them are safe for students, parents and other users. Please keep these City of Cambridge bylaws in mind if you drive your children to/from school.
Parking is not allowed:
- Within 1.5 metres of a driveway
- Within 3 metres of a fire hydrant
- Within 9 metres of an intersection
- In a bike lane
- In a school bus loading zone
Please also be aware of the no parking/no stopping areas around our school and be respectful of residents who live on streets around our school. By-law Enforcement staff regularly patrol school areas to help keep everyone safe by watching for in-fractions.
Each year, the City receives complaints about drivers in school zones.
Here are some of the practices to avoid:
- Blocking a driveway when you park your car (Please respect the home owners)
- Travelling too quickly
- Making U-turns
- Parking in a driveway without the homeowner’s permission