Reminder of Our Lady of Fatima – Drop Off & Pick Up Procedures
Dear Parents and Guardians,
The WCDSB provides bus transportation for students in JK-Gr. 3 who live further than 0.8 km from the school, and for students in Grades 4-8 who live greater than 1.6 km. If possible, you are encouraged to have your children walk to school if you live within these distances. However, if you choose to drive your children to or from school, this memo is a reminder of our school parking lot policy as well as our drop off and pick up procedure.
Except for special circumstances, our school parking lot is closed to parents and visitors before and after school (8:30-8:50 a.m. and 3:00 – 3:30 p.m.). This procedure keeps students safe as walkers do not need to avoid vehicles entering and exiting the parking lot. If you are dropping off or picking up your children before or after school, please follow the procedures outlined below.
- Please drop your children off on the school side of the street at either one of the driveways to the school parking lot where they will not have to navigate snow banks in the winter
- Please use the end of Hammet St. as a turnaround point – this allows the drop-off at the school parking lot driveways to happen quite easily. It also keeps traffic flowing and, more importantly, keeps children safe
- Please do not drop your children off on the opposite side of Hammet St, which would require them to cross the street during a high volume of traffic time of day
The City of Cambridge works closely with all schools to ensure the streets around them are safe for students, parents and other users. Please keep these City of Cambridge bylaws in mind if you drive your children to/from school.
Parking is not allowed:
We realize this does not work as easily at the end of the day when many parents pick their children up at 3:20 p.m. If you park on one of the side streets, we ask that you please be sure to walk with your children, crossing the street safely together.
- Within 1.5 metres of a driveway
- Within 3 metres of a fire hydrant
- Within 9 metres of an intersection
- In a bike lane
- In a school bus loading zone
Please also be aware of the no parking/no stopping areas around our school and be respectful of residents who live on streets around our school. By-law Enforcement staff regularly patrol school areas to help keep everyone safe by watching for in-fractions.
Each year, the City receives complaints about drivers in school zones. Here are some of the practices to avoid:
- Blocking a driveway when you park your car
- Travelling too quickly
- Making U-turns
- Parking in a driveway without the homeowner’s permission
****Please respect the home owners*** Do not park in or in front of their driveways!***
Thank you for your understanding and cooperation
Yard Supervision Reminder
Staff members are on the school yard (both the JK/K yard and main yard) for yard duty beginning at 8:35 a.m.
Please have your children arrive at the school after supervision begins in the morning.
At the end of the school day, students are expected to go directly home unless they are with a parent or involved in an after-school activity.
Staff members supervise dismissal from 3:20-3:35.